The Standing Committee on Social Development, chaired by Mr. Shane Thompson, is holding a public hearing in Hay River to gather public input on:
- Bill 16: An Act to Amend the Education Act, and
- Bill 18: An Act to Amend the Health and Social Services Professions Act.
DATE: Wednesday, April 12, 2017
TIME: 7:00 pm
PLACE: Ptarmigan Inn – Alexandra Falls Room
Bill 16: An Act to Amend the Education Act
This Bill amends the Education Act to change the age of access to kindergarten programs from five years of age to four years of age. The Act is also amended to reduce the minimum hours of instruction required for grades 1 through 12.
The Standing Committee on Social Development (SCOSD) released correspondence with EC&E containing background information:
- From Committee: Briefing on Junior Kindergarten Implementation
- From Committee: Briefing on Strengthening Teacher Instructional Practices Pilot Initiative
- From ECE: Response to Briefing on Junior Kindergarten Implementation
- From ECE: Response to Questions Regarding Strengthening Teachers Instructional Practices Initiative
The Department of Education, Culture, and Employment provides background information on Junior Kindergarten.
Memorandum of understanding between GNWT and NWTTA on reduction of instructional hours.
Video of Public Hearing held in YK on April 7, 2017
Bill 18: An Act to Amend the Health and Social Services Professions Act
This Bill amends the Health and Social Services Professions Act and imposes a requirement on registered members to comply with continuing competency recording requirements, and authorizes inspection of those records. It also authorizes the Minister to approve various items such as educational facilities, programs, and standards of practice.
To make a submission, or if you have any questions, please contact:
Doug Schauerte, Committee Clerk
Telephone: 867-767-9130 ext. 12014
Fax: (867) 873-0432